A rich, earthy yet aromatic spicy red curry to delight.
Essential! In the top 10!
Try this amazing recipe - especially great as a hearty winter dish!
(Also called doro wot or doro wet)
1.1 kg Chicken legs or thighs, skinless
1 Lemon, juice and 2 strips of rind
Generous pinch pepper
4 Brown Onions, roughly chopped
4 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Ginger, peeled and zested
2 tablespoons Oil and butter ( you can also use ghee or clarified butter)
1 tablespoons Paprika
3 tablespoons Spice Bazaar Berberé spice blend
½ cup stock (to cover)
¼ - ½ tsp Cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
4 Hard-boiled eggs
1. Mix together the chicken pieces, lemon juice, pepper and rind in a large bowl and set aside to marinate (ideally 30 minutes)
2. Meanwhile, puree the onions, garlic and ginger in a food processor, Add water if necessary.
3. Cook onion mix in 1 tablespoon of oil + 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally,
ensuring they are soft and translucent (and not caramelized)
4. Heat remaining oil, butter and salt in a large heavy based pot over low-medium flame.
5. Add the onion-garlic-ginger mix and sauté briefly.
6. Add the Berberé spice blend, paprika, cayenne to taste, tomato paste and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Don’t burn!
7. Add the chicken pieces, andstock to just cover.
8. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
9. Cover and simmer for 30-60 minutes, adding water as necessary to maintain a thick sauce-like consistency
and chicken is cooked through and very tender
10. Finally add seasoning and stir through.
11. Add the whole hard boiled eggs and simmer until the eggs are hot
Serve hot with injera bread or rice.